If you’ve recently had a tree cut down in your yard, you’ll be left with an unsightly stump. While the stump can stay, it may become a bit of a nuisance in the future. Your arborist will give you the choice to completely remove the stump or have it ground down. But which is the best option? Let’s take a look at stump grinding vs stump removal to find out which is right for you.
Why Remove a Tree Stump?
A tree stump may not initially cause problems, but over time it may start to develop problems. After your tree has been cut down, the leftover stump will begin the decaying process. Here’s the main reasons stump removal may be the right choice;
- Your tree stump will rot over time potentially attracting pests. These can spread out into your garden which may affect other foliage
- A rotting stump can become a bit of an eyesore. If you landscape your garden, a festering stump may ruin the overall look
- If you mow your garden, a left over stump could get in the way. And roots can potentially damage your mower, when going over the top
- Stump removal completely gets rid of the stump and the far reaching roots. This leaves you with a clean slate to plant a new tree or landscape the space
Why Grind a Tree Stump?
Stump grinding is a little less intensive when compared to full stump removal as full stump removal required the use of a large excavator which can create a mess and is expensive to hire. The other issue with full stump removal is the stump / rootball needs to be disposed of which is also costly. Your arborist will use a machine to grind down the stump into woodchips which can be used as mulch for your yard. A small hole will be left after stump grinding, much less noticeable than with a complete stump removal and some of the trees root system may remain.
- Stump grinding is an environmentally friendly option
- It’s a relatively quick and efficient process
- Stump grinding saves you money in the long run from your stump getting pests or dealing with stump sprouting
- You can re-use the woodchips as mulch for other plants
- Stump grinding is an affordable option to smarten up your yard
Talk with Your Local Brisbane Arborist for Advice
If you’re still not sure whether stump removal or stump grinding is right for your tree, don’t hesitate to call the North Brisbane Trees team for advice. We’re always on hand for a no-obligation chat and to provide a free quote for stump removal and stump grinding. Call today on 07 3289 3610 and talk to one of our friendly team.